Flip's Food Sensitivities
Zeke and I love to play house concerts! Unfortunately, there are some things I can't eat.
Here is a comprehensive list of what I don't eat, and a general list of things I do
I DO NOT EAT:
- Chili Oil
- Chili Powder
- Mayonnaise (contains paprika)
- Modified Food Starch if from potato starch (otherwise it's fine)
- Peppers (all)
- Pickles made of cucumbers
- Potatoes or potato starch
- Summer Squashes
- Tomato Sauce
- Tomato Paste etc
- If the label on prepared food says “spices” it almost always contains peppers.
- If a bread or cake says Gluten-Free, it usually contains potato starch.
- (Other sensitivities which are probably not related to nightshades)
- Raw Pineapple (but cooked is fine)
- Tea, coffee, and all caffeine containing products
- MSG (though small amounts of MSG are not a problem).
None of this will kill me or put me in the hospital, but even tiny doses of nightshades
will disable me for several days
with severe stomach ache and an arthritis flare-up in
my hands that never completely gets back to where it was
before the episode. So I am
I DO EAT:
- Noodles, rice, pasta, most breads
- Meat and fowl
- Milk, cream, ice-cream, cheeses
- Soy, miso, etc.
- Peanuts, almonds, hazelnuts, any unspiced nuts
- Sweet potatoes
- Winter squashes such as Kabocha & Hubbard
- Beans, beets, broccoli, carrots, parsnips, peas, edamame
- Cooked Mushrooms
- Salad greens, spinach, kale and cooked greens in general
- Horseradish (unless there is chili powder added)
- Wasabi (unless there is chili powder added)
- Most cakes & cookies (though some sticky buns have paprika for color)
Let me know what I can do to help shop or cook, or I can bring a cooler chest with my
own food to supplement. Zeke eats pretty much everything. I used to be an easy